Kendall County Facilities Management Committee met Oct. 9.
Here is the minutes provided by the committee:
Committee Chair Matt Kellogg called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Roll Call: Members Present: Amy Cesich, Matt Kellogg, Tony Giles Members Absent: Judy Gilmour, Audra Hendrix
With enough members present, a quorum was formed to conduct business.
Others Present: Facilities Management Director Jim Smiley
Approve the September 5, 2019 Facilities Committee Meeting Minutes – There were no changes to the September 5, 2019 minutes; Member Giles made a motion to approve the minutes, second by Member Cesich. With enough present members voting aye, the minutes were approved.
Approval of Agenda – Member Cesich made a motion to approve the agenda. Member Giles second the motion. All Aye. Motion approved.
Public Comment – None Old Business/Projects
1. Vending Machine Changes at County Office building & Courthouse – Director Smiley informed the Committee that he had finally spoke with the program Director Raven Pulliam at IDHS. Mr. Pulliam stated the State of Illinois’ attorneys will not look at the contract with all the changes Kendall County is recommending. Kendall County State’s Attorney Office (SAO) stated that their office gives their best suggestions and the Committee can decide what they want from the suggested changes by the SAO. The Census of the Committee is to stay with current vendor, since IDHS’s attorney will not review the document with the suggested changes.
2. Public Safety Center – H.V.A.C. Replacement Project – Director Smiley stated the base project and the additional change order retrofit work on the MZU #3 is complete. Jim stated that Trane has offered an additional change order in the amount of $15,240.00 for under cabinet unit heaters at the entrances to the facility at both the office and jail areas. Mr. Smiley informed the Committee that adding the change order will still bring the project under budget by $62,689.00. Chair Kellogg stated this will not need to be approved by the full board as the County Board approved a total budget of $769,019.00. Motion passed Motion by Member Cesich to approve the Trane change order in the amount of $15,240.00. Second by Member Giles. All members present voting aye, Motion Carried.
3. Courthouse Roof Replacement Project – Director Smiley informed the Committee the background screens are completed. Mr. Smiley also stated the stones were removed off the roof, and as soon as we get the schedule, replacement work can begin. Director Smiley reminded the Committee the contract calls for the project to be completed no later than October 31, 2019.
4. Animal Control Projects Update – Director Smiley stated the bids came in extremely higher than expected. Mr. Smiley brought the bids to the last Animal Control meeting and was directed to speak to the architect and State’s Attorney Office (SAO) to see if we can do any of the work with the low bidder or of we can bid desired items out individually as Jim does for other county projects. The SAO recommended an addendum be put out if only a portion of the work is to be done and is expected to be more than the state bid threashold. Kendall County could also do any of the projects individually as Mr. Smiley does for other county work, again as long as the work is under the state bid threashold. Member Cesich said the Animal Control Committee (ACC) would still like to add the windows this year and build up their capital fund to have the HVAC projects done in 2020. Director Smiley said he has started to get prices from vendors Kendall County uses for the window work and will bring the results back to the ACC.
5. Historic Courthouse Window Replacement - 2019 – Director Smiley informed the Committee the installations are scheduled for the week of the October 14, 2019.
6. Sally Port Elevator Controls Project – Director Smiley stated Advanced Elevator came out and reviewed the installation. The new controls need to meet current codes, so a relay needed to be installed. The relay will indicate via a “Red Hat” light on the wall controls to the fire department that the fire is in the elevator shaft or control room. This relay work was completed on October 8, 2019. Advanced Elevator projects the project will be completed by the County year end in November.
7. 2019 Parking Lots Projects – Director Smiley stated the parking lot work was completed the week of September 9, 2019. Mr. Smiley also stated the striping and lettering of the stalls were completed on Sunday, September 16, 2019. Project Complete.
8. Health Department Carpet Replacement – Director Smiley informed the Committee the balance of the carpet in the conference room was installed on September 16, 2019. Project Complete.
9. Courthouse Atrium UV Protection Project – Director Smiley stated the UV film installation started today and expects the project to be complete by Friday. Jim also stated that while the lift is in the atrium KCFM staff is replacing light bulbs to LED’s.
10. KenCom Phone System Rack Power Needs – Director Smiley stated KCFM staff installed outlets above the new rack that were needed. Project Complete.
11. Public Safety Center – Jail Duct Cleaning - Director Smiley stated the duct cleaning has started today and is expected to be completed by tomorrow October 10, 2019.
1. Chair’ s Report
a. Solar Project Update – Chair Kellogg stated they are in discussions with the Yorkville Mayor and Chris Childress from Progressive Energy about the fence and landscaping. It was recommended GRNE apply for a new special use permit for the desired fence and landscape changes. Mr. Childress said GRNE plans to move forward with re-applying for another special use permit. The project is still estimated to be completed in April 2020.
b. County Office Building Projects – Chair Kellogg stated the Animal Control bid was a difficult process to get through so Mr. Smiley has been directed to have Dewberry Architects look into this project again since Dewberry has “in-house” engineers to work on the design of the electronics. Chair Kellogg also stated to save costs they may not move floors and just add the card access system, and update the existing board room.
2. Mutual Ground Move at the Courthouse – Director Smiley stated Presiding Judge Pilmer approved Mutual Ground to move into the former Civil Process space. Mr. Smiley provided drawings to State’s Attorney Weiss for a new lease. Once the lease is drafted it will be brought the Committee for approval to move to the County Board. Project Complete at this time.
3. ComEd Public Sector Energy Efficiency Grant Workshop – Director Smiley attended a workshop for obtaining grants in Morris. Director Smiley thinks there is possibly money available for upcoming projects. Item Complete.
4. Annual Systems Chemical Testing – Boilers & Chillers – Director Smiley stated the annual testing of the boiler and chiller systems were completed. Chemical concentrations for all chillers were ok but the boilers will need additional chemicals. The chemicals have been ordered and will be installed once received. Project Complete.
5. KCFM Truck Disposals – Director Smiley inquired from the Committee how to dispose two trucks, one KCFM received from PBZ and the truck that was replaced with a new one this year. The Committee directed Mr. Smiley to see if the vehicles can be auctioned off through sheriff’s office.
6. MSDS Software – Chair Kellogg suggested this software could be purchased as an additional 2019 capital item. However, County Administor Koeppel said he would rather purchase it on one of the KCFM operation line items instead, even if that line item was over budget for 2019. So, director Smiley will see what line can be used for this purchase.
Reportable Labor Hours – Reports were included in the packet. Other Items of Business
CMMS Charts – Reports were included in the packet for:
- Reported versus Completed Work Orders, Reported by Building Current Month
- Work Orders by Work Type Current month
Questions from the Media – None
Executive Session – Member Cesich made a motion to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of 5 ILCS 120/2 (c)(21), Discussion of minutes of meetings lawfully closed under this Act, whether for purposes of approval by the body of the minutes or semi-annual review of the minutes as mandated by Section 2.06, second by Member Giles.
Roll Call Vote: Members Present: Matt Kellogg, Judy Gilmour, Amy Cesich, Tony Giles With all members in attendance voting aye, the committee entered into Executive Session at 4:46 p.m.
Others Present: Jim Smiley, Director of Facilities, Christina Wald.
Member Cesich made a motion to return to Open Session, second by Member Giles. With all members present voting aye, the committee returned to Open Session at 4:49 p.m. The Committee decided to release the following executive session minutes to the County Board for approval to release: April 1, 2019. The Committee decided to keep the Executive session minutes of October 5, 2015 sealed at this time.
Adjournment – Chair Kellogg asked if there was a motion to adjourn. Member Cesich made a motion to adjourn the meeting, second by Member Giles. With all members present voting aye, the meeting adjourned at 4:51 p.m.