Seth Wormley, Board Member - District 1 | Kendall County, IL Website
Seth Wormley, Board Member - District 1 | Kendall County, IL Website
Kendall County Historic Preservation Commission met Feb. 19.
Here are the minutes provided by the commission:
CALL TO ORDER
Chairman Jeff Wehrli called the meeting to order at 5:31 p.m.
ROLL CALL
Present: Elizabeth Flowers, Marty Shanahan (Vice-Chairman), and Jeff Wehrli (Chairman) Eric Bernacki (arrived at 5:45 p.m.)
Absent: Kristine Heiman
Also, Present: Matt Asselmeier, Wanda A. Rolf, Scott Mehaffey, John Aman, Sarah Skilton, Tina Beaird, Kristin Lochner, Johanna Byram, Benn Joseph, Ken Wolf, Jeff Nakaerts, Sharon Lowy, Anne Sears, April Morganegg, Jeff Farren, Ken Donart, and Lisa Wolancivich.
WELCOMING REMARKS
Jeff Wehrli, Kendall County Historic Preservation Commission Chairman, welcomed the attendees to the semiannual Historic Preservation Meeting. Chairman Wehrli stated he liked to bring people together and talk about what they have been doing in their communities. Chairman Wehrli introduced the speakers for the evening, Pastor Tami Perryman and Benn Joseph.
PRESENTATION AND TOUR OF THE PLANO STONE CHURCH
Pastor Tami Perryman took the attendees to The Plano Stone Church. Pastor Perryman stated The Plano Stone Church became a historic site in 1991. Pastor Perryman spoke about the radiators breaking down last winter, which caused quite a bit damage from flooding to the basement of the church. The church is in the process of restoring the damage. The Plano Stone Church was one of the first churches in Plano built in the 1860’s and it continues to provide services to Plano. The original stone sign is still in the church.
Pastor Perryman spoke about the history of the organ. Initially the organ was used at the Plano Theater. Later, it sold to the Plano Baptist Church. The organ was not reliable because in bad weather it did not play. Pastor Perryman stated the organ was sold to the church and they had the same problems with the organ. The church found someone who knew how to fix church organs and it was fixed. The church also upgraded the organ and added chimes.
The pews were hand built and the ironwork was donated to the church.
Pastor Perryman provided a history of the religion. In 1859, Joseph Smith III started the reorganization of the church. Joseph Smith III started printing newspapers with Herald House Publishing. Herald House publishes books, periodicals, and teaching materials on the beliefs of the church. Lewis Steward, a prominent businessman in the area, offered to cover ten percent (10%), for the building of the church, as he did for other churches. The church became reorganized in 1861 and was called The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS). In 2001, the name changed to Community of Christ.
The seal of the church was hand carved by Richard Young and devoted to Peace.
Post Covid, the attendance of the church decreased. The church members felt they were not able to handle the upkeep.
In 2005, the new stone above the church entryway was installed. The stone reads HOLINESS TO THE LORD. In the original stone, the letter N in Holiness was reversed. The stonecutter inscribed the new stone exactly like the stone he was given with the N reversed.
The congregation closed in August 2024 and moved to Marseilles, Illinois.
Pastor Perryman encouraged the attendees to visit the library, which had quite a bit of history on the church.
PRESENTATION ON THE TRIBUNE EXPERIMENTAL FARM FORMERLY LOCATED AT SILVER SPRINGS STATE PARK
Benn Joseph, Head of Collection Services of the McCormick Library of Special Collections and University Archives at Northwestern University Libraries, stated that the Tribune experimental farm was a collection of farms owned by Robert McCormick between 1928 and 1953.
In 2020, Northwestern University Libraries acquired two thousand linear feet (2000’) of archival records from Cantigny Park in Wheaton, IL. Part of the archival records included Colonel McCormick’s creation of the Tribune Experimental Farm.
The Tribune Experimental Farm consisted of five (5) farms. Colonel McCormick purchased the farms and leased the land back to the original owners for one dollar ($1) per year. The families were allowed to live on the farms free of charge. Frank Ridgeway, a writer and director, wrote many articles on the Tribune Farm, including aiding farmers and economic improvement. Schoolchildren also visited the farm. Sale of the crops was divided for Colonel McCormick to receive sixty percent (60%) and the farmers received forty percent (40%) of the sale of crops. Mr. Joseph spoke about the farmers using horses for farming and the horses had a specified amount of grain to feed on per day.
Mr. Asselmeier asked about a sign that said, “Follow the Tribune Farm signs from Yorkville” and asked if the signs were still in existence. Mr. Joseph said that he believes the signs are no longer in existence.
Some of the long-range plans that the Tribune Experimental Farm worked on in 1934 were Field Crops, Farm Management, and Methods of Improvement and How to Market Farm Products.
Colonel McCormick contracted with a milkweed company to grow milkweed on the Tribune Experimental Farm. It sold for fifty dollars ($50) per ton.
Dr. Edith Farnsworth was interested in purchasing the property located on the Tribune Experimental Farm. The house was designed to be a weekend retreat for Dr. Farnsworth. It took two and a half (2 1/2) years to negotiate the price. Mr. Joseph has a document signed by Colonel McCormick and Dr. Farnsworth stating the land sold to Dr. Farnsworth for Four Thousand, Seven Hundred Sixty Five Dollars ($4,765).
In 1953, Colonel McCormick decided to sell the farms. The experiment lasted about twenty (20) years. He sold them individually. Colonel McCormick passed away in 1955.
Mr. Joseph stated that there is a burned down house in Silver Springs State Park. There is a fence around it. Chairman Wehrli asked if the house was for the caretakers. The house was privately owned.
It was asked if Colonel McCormick had a business goal or a charitable goal. Colonel McCormick had a lot of money so he was able to make these kinds of ventures. Mr. Joseph stated that Colonel McCormick wanted to create more resistance against pests for the crops and animals.
Chairman Wehrli asked if farmers experimented on hybrid crops. Mr. Joseph said the farmers were working with hybrids. Soybeans were in the experimental stage that time.
DISCUSSION OF HISTORIC STRUCTURE SURVEY OF NA-AU-SAY AND SEWARD TOWNSHIPS
Mr. Asselmeier stated that an application was sent to the State of Illinois to conduct an historic structure survey for Na-Au-Say and Seward Townships. There was a structure survey conducted in unincorporated Bristol and Kendall Townships a couple of years ago. The State has scored and ranked the application, but the State has not disclosed the score and rank. Mr. Asselmeier noted that the State has the funds to move forward with this project. The State did not know about funding for future projects in upcoming years. It was asked if the same methodology would be recommended as was used for the previous structure surveys. Mr. Asselmeier stated that he would recommend the same methodology as what was used for the surveys in Bristol and Kendall Townships; the results of those surveys were incorporated into the County’s GIS systems.
Chairman Wehrli said that, if the survey was funded, the County would need volunteers.
It was asked what kind of format was done on the previous surveys. Mr. Asselmeier stated there was a history of the owners in chronological order. There was also a description of the property in terms of the size of buildings and noteworthy events if any.
DISCUSSION OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION AWARDS
Mr. Asselmeier stated that the application deadline for the Historic Preservation Awards is on February 28, 2025, at 4:00 p.m. Applications should be submitted by mail to 111 W. Fox Street or to email them to Mr. Asselmeier. Applications will be reviewed in March and April. We would like to present them to the winners in May.
DISCUSSION OF CEMETERIES
Chairman Wehrli stated that he would like to see some funding go toward cleaning up cemeteries, especially the older ones. Many of the cemeteries are cared for by the townships, but there are other, smaller cemeteries that have fallen to the wayside and he would like to get those cleaned up. Chairman Wehrli stated that they are looking into it and will have more information later.
ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION
Chairman Wehrli asked each guest to speak about themselves and which historical organization they represented. Each attendee introduced himself or herself and briefly spoke about their historic organization.
Ken Donart, Chapel on the Green Treasurer, wanted to share that they continue to make improvements and maintain the chapel. The chapel had four (4) chairlifts installed to make the chapel more ADA accessible. Mr. Donart stated this was made possible by a community foundation grant and chapel funds. Mr. Donart spoke about getting a historical marker for the Chapel on the Green, in connection with the Underground Railroad. The State will fund half of the cost of the historical marker. Mr. Donart says that they plan to have the unveiling of the historic marker. In January of this year, the Chapel on the Green had a very successful presentation for the Underground Railroad which was very well attended. Mr. Donart stated that the next event will be Sunday and will be on the history of Negro spirituals. Ida Ruth Allen will be making a presentation.
Lisa Wolancevich and Johanna Byram, Yorkville Historical Preservation and Kendall County Historical Society, stated they assisted the owner of the west block in downtown Yorkville identify their commercial buildings. They found an image of a hotel, which was the first commercial building in downtown Yorkville, from 1858. They found a plaque of the silhouette of the building and a picture of the hotel. Ms. Wolancevich stated that Kendall County Historical Society received a grant from the State of Illinois for One Hundred Twenty Thousand Dollars ($120,000). She also stated there will be an electric car show in October.
Vicki Brown, Yorkville and Oswego Chambers of Commerce, said that this past Christmas, they had the businesses and other organizations decorate trees. They have grown so much they had to go into the second (2nd) building. People are starting to come back to their organization.
Jane Burke, Naperville Preservation Society, stated she is pleased with what Kendall County is doing to raise historic awareness. Naperville has buildings and subdivisions. Last year, the Beidelman Furniture building at 235–239 S. Washington Street in Naperville was designated a local landmark. It is the oldest operating business in DuPage County. Ms. Burke stated that Naperville is going to conduct an architectural survey of John Posey’s midcentury modern homes, which has a very distinctive style. Ms. Burke stated that Naperville would like to survey the homes Mr. Posey built and publish the surveys in a catalog. Ms. Burke stated that Naperville is conducting a series of ten (10) lectures on how to get your house right in terms of historic character. The biggest challenge Naperville has is they do not have historic preservation incentives.
Anne Sears, the Plano Historical Society, stated they had to close the Plano Historical Museum due to heating costs. They plan to have a grand reopening in April. Ms. Sears stated they have an original 1886 reaper they are in process of restoring.
Jeff Nakaerts, Dickson-Murst Historic Farm in Montgomery, stated they have different events this year for children. These included tractor rides, a petting farm, and plowing with horses. The farm is working on a house and making it ADA compliant. The State recently conducted a survey of the Dickson-Murst Historic Farm. He stated that, once the house is ADA compliant, the Kendall County Historic Preservation Commission could have a meeting at the property. He said that they work quite a bit with the Kendall County 4H club. There is also booklet on how the farm was developed.
John Aman, Montgomery Historic Preservation Commission, discussed the restoration to the Settler’s Cottage. He noted the challenges of getting children involved.
Tina Beaird, Little White School Museum, and Plainfield Library, noted that the Little White School Museum is turning one hundred (150) years old this year. The partnership they have with the Oswegoland Park District was running smoothly. Ms. Beaird stated there were some minor renovations done to the building. Roger Matile, who has been with the Little White School Museum, for over thirty (30) years, wants to retire. Ms. Beaird said that teaching local history in public schools is mandated by the State of Illinois. Bus tours keep coming to the Little White School Museum. The Genealogy Library underwent a yearlong renovation; it is online and digitized on the website. Tamarack Settlement has a cheat sheet on how to get into Kendall County historic records.
Kristin Lochner, Edith Farnsworth House, stated the House is currently open on Fridays and Saturdays. The main season opens in March. Ms. Lochner stated that this year people could have a pass that they could use for all four season. On March 30, 2025, the Edith Farnsworth House will have an exhibition with Truman Lowe, professor at the University of Wisconsin. He is the only indigenous artist with a building named after him. Ms. Lochner stated that Mr. Lowe’s collection would be shown at the Edith Farnsworth House.
Scott Mehaffey, Executive Director of Edith Farnsworth House, stated that the Kendall County Historic Preservation was welcome to meet at the Edith Farnsworth House. Mr. Mehaffey stated the Edith Farnsworth House now has an exhibition person who creates videos. Information on McCormick farm history is onsite.
DISCUSSION OF FUTURE MEETING(S)
Chairman Wehrli spoke about future meetings; these will probably occur in July or August. Chairman Wehrli stated that the Kendall County Historic Preservation Committee has met in quite a few historic locations in the County.
Member Bernacki asked if there were any updates on the preservation efforts for the Tribune Farms. Lisa Wolancevich answered that she went on a video tour of the house. Ms. Wolancevich will be working with Helen Monroe who lived on the Tribune farm. Ms. Monroe kept a log everyday and had letters. Ms. Wolancevich found the log but not the letters. The letters were at Cantigny. Ms. Wolancevich will try to obtain the letters.
OTHER BUSINESS
None
PUBLIC COMMENT
None
ADJOURNMENT
Member Flowers made a motion, seconded by Member Bernacki to adjourn. With a voice vote of four (4) ayes, the motion carried. The Historic Preservation Commission adjourned at 7:44 p.m.
https://www.kendallcountyil.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/32477/638778823262370000